Customer Accounts Information:
It is important to keep your account information up to date. Contact us if any of the following change:
- Telephone Number
- Billing Address
- Landlords: Must inform the MUA of new tenant names, phones numbers, and billing addresses if different from service location.
Customers are billed quarterly. You will receive an invoice the 1st week of the month that your payment is due. The water flow is metered and you are billed for your usage for the prior 3 months. The MUA will send a meter reader to your home to read the recording device that is connected to your actual meter. Bills are due when presented. There is a grace period given until the last business day of the month in which your bill was received.
- Water: There is a minimum charge for all properties regardless of the gallons used. If you use more than the minimum in any one billing quarter, you will be charged an additional amount per 1,000 gallons.
- Sewer: Sewer is charged a flat rate regardless of usage, except for commercial properties that have metered service.
Payments are accepted the following ways:
- Personal Checks: Please make checks payable to “West Milford MUA” and include your six digit account number on the payment.
- Electronic Payments: The MUA does receive electronic payments from most banks through bill pay. Please be sure to indicate West Milford MUA and include your six digit account number. Electronic payments must be received no later than 4pm on the due date.
- Cash: We NO LONGER accept cash, however we do accept money orders or certified bank checks.
There is no prepayment penalty. If you choose to send partial payments monthly, your account will be credited as soon as the payment is received. Your bill will reflect the payments as “Prev Balance, Principle”.
Please be aware all payments must be received in our office by 3pm on the due date, which is the last business day of the billing month. Any unpaid balance will be assessed interest at the rate of 18% per year, or 1.5% per month. If your payment is even a few days late, you will incur interest and this balance will also be charged interest if not paid.
Returned Check Fees:
Any checks or electronic payments that are returned for “any reason” shall be subject to a charge of $40.00.
Shut – off Procedures:
If a bill remains unpaid for 30 days after it is rendered, a notice will be sent out indicating discontinuation of service may be initiated. If a bill remains unpaid 10 days after the first past due notice a shut off notice with discontinuation date will be delivered. Service will not be restored until the account and fees are paid in full by cash, money order, or certified check.
Any outstanding balance on any account as of December 31st of any given year is subject to a municipal lien. Liens are forwarded to and sold by the Tax Collector. Once an account has been forwarded to the Tax Collector, addition fees may be added to the account. All accounts forwarded must be redeemed through the Tax Collector’s Office.